Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Kiss Of Sleep

Amma was agitated when I went home from work yesterday. She had napped in the afternoon and she was worried that she would not get sleep in the night. She complained of back pain and wanted to lie down. When the caregiver pointed out that Amma had rested all through afternoon and should sit for a while, she got angry and said that she didn’t rest at all. She had been in pain. I calmed her and asked her to forget about the afternoon, I made her focus on the present moment. I put on music and we listened to a song sung by Aruna Sairam. We spoke a little about the composition and shared some trivia about the singer. Soon she lost interest and said that she had no interest to listen to music. I got down the volume and asked her to walk a little with me. We walked till the door, she lied down after that. I sat with her for a while, massaged the pressure points on her finger and asked her to breathe gently. She was still restless.

This is pretty much how she is as the day advances. Mornings are comparatively better for her. She enquires if Gowri has left for the day, asks about Athreya, when he will return home, asks me when I will return from work and requests me to talk to her over the phone through the course of the day. She even says that by mid morning she will talk to her sister. By evening she is worn away by pain and discomfort and is tormented by fear of a long sleepless night.

In the night I sat with her for an hour and massaged her left palm. I told her that I would work on the pressure points that control the brain, stomach, intestines and several other parts of her body. I asked her to leave her body with me as I transfer energy to all parts of her body. I asked her to focus on her breathing. For a brief while she appeared unburdened by her body. The massage calmed her and she breathed gently. She got restless a little later and searched for her bottle of water, kerchief and told me she wanted to pass motion. I told her that her body and mind was slowly coiling to rest for the night and asked her not resist the slowing down. She remained quiet for some time. I told her that I will leave prayers with her that will keep her calm through the night and get her some sleep. She asked me after a few minutes to go and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment